W. F. Mangels Company of Coney Island
Though now a branch of the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, the W.F. Mangels Company of Coney Island produced carousels and amusement park rides from this local factory.
Brooklyn Bridge and John A. Roebling
German architect and engineer John Roebling designed this iconic New York City structure.
This restored tenement, operated by the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, provides visitors with a glimpse into the lodgings available to Kleindeutschland's working class.
Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Sorrows
Although this parish began in a bar room adjacent to a cow stable, it grew into a large religious community whose changing demographics help to tell the story of the neighborhood's evolving ethnic identity.
Now a 72-room single-family home, Germania Bank constructed the building to house its operations, which primarily served the large German population based in the area.
The Church of the Most Holy Redeemer
This church was the unofficial cathedral of the German Catholic community during the prime years of Kleindeutschland.
This building was constructed by a German-language humor magazine, whose appropriately puckish mascot reminds passersby "what fools these mortals be."
Aschenbroedel Verein was a professional orchestral musicians' social and benevolent association, and became one of the leading German organizations in Kleindeutschland.
Tompkins Square Park
On January 13, 1874, 7,000 workers--1,200 from the German Tenth Ward Workingmen's Association-- gathered in Tompkins Square Park to demonstrate over unemployment issues.
Germania Fire Insurance
Now a residential building, Germania Fire Insurance's Kleindeutschland branch provided protection for German-Americans during the "age of great urban fires."
Slocum Memorial, Tompkins Square Park
The General Slocum disaster in 1904 was the greatest disaster in NYC history before September 11, 2001.
German Odd Fellows Hall
A German-American branch of a fraternal society whose mission is Friendship, Love, and Truth dedicated this building in 1889.
Ottendorfer Library and German Dispensary
The Ottendorfer Library is the oldest branch library in Manhattan and one of the earliest buildings in the city constructed specifically as a public library. The German Dispensary, and the neighboring library, were commissioned to promote the physical and mental health of German immigrants.
German-American Shooting Society Clubhouse
Today a yoga studio, the German-American Shooting Society's Clubhouse was a social venue for its members.
John Jacob Astor immigrated from Germany to New York City and became the first multi-millionaire in the United States.
First German Baptist Church
Built in 1866 in a German architectural style, the First German Baptist Church building is a now physical manifestation of the changing ethnic groups in New York City.
Now the flagship store of the global cosmetics brand, Kiehl’s began it’s life 160 years ago when a German immigrant began selling old world concoctions of herbs, unguents, and roots.
This restaurant, in its many iterations, inspired an O. Henry short story, provided a forerunner to karaoke, and hosted performances by the likes of Stan Getz and Bob Dylan.
Old Town Bar
Established in 1882, Old Town Bar has been a staple of the Union Square neighborhood for nearly 130 years.
St. Paul's Church
St. Paul's Church in New York City, is a wonderful landmark and a small slice of home for many. In the small community of Chelsea exists an even smaller community of those, who come together to celebrate and share their heritage. Such a happening is only possible in a city like New York! Experience St. Paul's Church in all it's glory both inside and out.
Now an important link between Queens and Manhattan in the New York City subway system, Steinway Tunnel is notable for being the first underwater passenger tube in the city.
The efforts of three German immigrants turned a modest specialty hardware store into Hammacher Schlemmer, purveyor of "the Best, the Only, and the Unexpected."
Great East Side Bazaar (aka Bloomingdale's)
Founded by two brothers of Bavarian heritage, Bloomingdale's has gone from a small dry goods store catering primarily to the working class, to an international chain of high-end department stores.
The Harmonie Club was established as a social club to provide "mutually beneficial entertainment" for German immigrants.
Steinway & Sons
This internationally known and respected company had humble beginnings in the kitchen of its founder, Henry Steinway.
Carl Schurz Park
Home to the official residence of the Mayor of New York since 1942, Carl Schurz Park is dedicated in honor of German-American general, statesman, and Secretary of the Interior, Carl Schurz.
Zion St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church
This church building has been home to several German Evangelical Lutheran congregations since it was constructed in 1888.
St. Joseph's Yorkville
Founded in the chapel of a small orphanage, St. Joseph's Yorkville continues to serve the neighborhood through its school and church services.
This authentic German restaurant has been serving traditional dishes to locals and tourists alike since 1936.
Schaller & Weber
For over seventy years, Schaller & Weber have been manufacturers, butchers, and purveyors of German imported goods.
Glaser's Bake Shop
This Yorkville bakery is still delighting its customers with its black-and-white cookies more than a century after opening.
New York Turn-Verein
The New York Turn Verein was established in 1850 to promote physical education, as well as the political, social and cultural needs of German immigrants.
Goethe-Institut Uptown Building
Although the first occupant of this building took a somewhat critical stance towards Germany, after 1960 the house became a place of dialogue between German and American artists, philosophers, writers, filmmakers, performers, and poets and showcased the artistic and intellectual side of Germany.
Wankel's Hardware Store
Wankel's Hardware Store is one of the few surviving family-owned and operated German businesses of Yorkville.
Steinway Village was built as a community for Steinway & Sons’ factory workers and included a post office, church, library, amusement park and employee housing.
Immanuel Lutheran Church
The Immanuel Lutheran Church building is a reminder of the congregation's German past both inside and out, from the exterior's gothic style to the chancel carved out of wood from Germany's Black Forest.
Deutscher Liederkranz der Stadt New York
The Deutscher Liederkranz der Stadt New York was founded in 1847 to preserve and promote German culture and music, but also became a strong supporter of the United States during times of war and national disaster.
This beautiful Upper East Side park is located on the site of the former Ruppert Brewing Company Factory and is dedicated to the memory of its owner, Jacob Ruppert Jr.